These unappealing insects with many legs and gray armor are precursors of high humidity in the room. No wonder the entomologists gave them a thematic name – woodlice. Insects are attracted not only by moisture but also by dirt, decaying organic matter. Very often woodlice settle in the bathroom, in the kitchen, in the cellar – everywhere where a favorable environment is created for them. How to get rid of woodlice in the apartment? Can these insects harm a person?
What harm do woodlice do?
It should immediately be noted that woodlice are non-biting insects. But this does not mean that they are harmless. What is the danger of woodlice:
- For indoor plants. Insects significantly condense the soil in the pot, because of what it is bad moisture passes. They also like to eat leaves and roots of plants. Especially from woodlice gets orchids. Insects are dangerous not only for indoor plants but also for garden plants. They are able to completely destroy the entire crop.
- For the apartment. If the house is very damp and dirty, then the first to appear are not cockroaches (as everyone thinks), but lice. They feed on organic garbage. The appearance of these insects is a sign that the house has unsanitary conditions that are potentially dangerous for the human body.
- For people and pets. Insects are non-aggressive, do not bite or buzz. But they can carry on their paws the spores of fungi, mold, and lichen. And this in itself is dangerous.
Highlighters have a high level of vitality. The life of insects is about a year. They multiply quickly if they fall into a favorable environment.
How do insects get into the apartment?
Usually, woodlice live in basements, in attics, in cellars. Most often they get into the apartment by ventilation. In this sense, unheated periods are especially dangerous – spring-autumn, when the house is slightly damp and the temperature in the room is not higher than 19 degrees.
If water is constantly leaking in some place in the apartment, then woodlice will settle here sooner or later. They can be seen under the bin, at the joints of the pipes of the washing machine, in places of accumulation of organic debris. Therefore, it is very important to prevent the emergence in the house of hotbeds of moisture and dirt.
How to get rid of woodlice: effective folk remedies
With the help of an ordinary oak broom, you can withdraw a part of the population of woodlice. To do this, it is necessary to moisten the bath attribute with water and leave it overnight in the bathroom or in the room where the insects live. In the morning, most adults will sit on a wet broom. All that needs to be done next is to shake the insects off the toilet and flush the water. Of course, this method will not get rid of woodlice and all the parasites, but most of it can be eliminated.
Boric acid is a known agent for the fight against harmful insects. It will help in this case. To prepare the solution, you need to take four grams of boric acid per liter of water. The resulting water should be sprinkled with the accumulation of woodlice. Boric acid literally corrodes the shell of an insect, leaving him no chance.
For the preparation of the next tool will need kvass powder. One hundred grams of dry mix is necessary to fill with a liter of boiling water. After that, the solution should be poured into a spray bottle and sprayed in places where lice congeal. It can be a plinth, door, and window slots. The treated room must be closed for 10-12 hours. After this, you should carry out a wet cleaning of the room and ventilate it.
Chemical control methods
You can poison these insects with any kind of dichlorvos. Of course, you will have to leave the room for a few hours, and after processing carefully ventilate it, but the result is worth it. Mokritsy dies for some 2-4 hours completely. Also effective will be fumigators and other chemicals.
To get rid of woodlice thoroughly, you can use the services of special services that are engaged in the destruction of insects. The staff of the services today uses sparing drugs that are safe for people and pets but are merciless towards insects.
In the process of destruction of woodlice using the technology of cold or hot mist, specialized formulations.
What to do to woodlice no longer appear
It is worth remembering that all methods of eliminating insects will be ineffective if you do not take care of creating an unfavorable environment in the apartment for their reproduction. Even the most experienced pest controllers will be powerless against dampness and dirt. The effect of their work will last several days, after which the insects reappear.
To prevent such a development of events, it is necessary:
- Dry the place in the apartment where the observed high humidity. For this purpose, you can use heaters, fans and moisture absorbers.
- Do not allow stale air in the room. Regular airing will not allow air to stagnate.
- All leaking plumbing and household appliances must be repaired to prevent the occurrence of the source of moisture.
- All gaps in the floor and baseboards must be repaired.
- All exhaust channels must be reviewed and cleaned. If necessary, the grid on them to replace the fine.
- Drying wet clothes are not indoors but on the street. This will reduce the level of humidity in the apartment.
- Avoid stagnation of water in trays for indoor plants.
You should also regularly carry out a thorough cleaning of the room. Ensure that no food debris accumulates on the table or in the corners. All food should be stored in closed containers so that insects do not have access to them. After taking a shower or bathroom, the door to the bathroom is best left open. Do not allow the accumulation of garbage – the bin must be emptied regularly.
If you saw woodlice in your apartment, then get ready for complex measures – not only poison insects with available means but also create an unfavorable atmosphere in the apartment. If you strictly adhere to all the above tips, then you can only see woodlice in the future in the photo or on television about the animal world.