In each family, a small child is a long-awaited and most beloved man. And parents sincerely care and do everything possible so that it normally grows and develops. And if young mothers know almost everything about pregnancy and childbirth, then the period that follows them is covered for the most part by a veil of secrecy. Often in babies after eating there is a hiccup. Parents do not know what to do or how to remove it. In the desire to help the newborn mothers go in search of information about this unpleasant symptom. In this article, we will talk about what causes hiccups in newborns and how to get rid of its further manifestations.
Although hiccups are not a condition that requires the call of a team of ambulance doctors, it still gives anxiety to the newborn, and therefore information on how to deal with an unpleasant symptom will be useful.
Causes of hiccups
So, let’s try to figure out what this phenomenon is and why it occurs in young children, especially after feeding. In fact, the exact cause is difficult to call. However, there are several provoking factors that accompany hiccups in newborns. And before you figure out how to get rid of her crumb, you need to determine which of the reasons it caused.
- The baby is tormented by thirst.
- Newborn froze.
- After feeding, hiccups are caused by the fact that during lactation the baby has swallowed air.
- The child is very scared. For example, a loud sound.
- Baby overeating. In this case, food that has got into the stomach in excess pulls it out, which causes a contraction of the diaphragm.
To pass the hiccups, it is necessary to understand the reason for its occurrence. Then it will be possible to more effectively and quickly deal with this phenomenon and calm the newborn.
As a rule, this situation is short. Lasts about 15 minutes and may well pass on their own. However, if she does not pass, it is a reason to go to a pediatrician. This phenomenon can be a symptom of lung disease, as well as organs of the gastrointestinal tract or even the spinal cord. Therefore, if you can not get rid of hiccups within 20 minutes, and this situation repeats with a certain frequency, you should not delay the campaign with a specialist.
How to get rid of hiccups?
If, after feeding or at any other time, the child has this unpleasant phenomenon, the first question that confronts the mother is how to remove this symptom. Once the reason has been clarified, it is possible to help the infant get rid of it and prevent re-emergence in one of the following ways.
- After eating a newborn a hiccup occurs most often. To help him cope with the effects of swallowing air with milk, you can walk around the room with your child, holding him in an upright position. So the spasm quicker stops. To avoid a repetition of this situation, it is worth changing the nipple on the baby bottle. Often food arrives for the baby too quickly. And in order not to choke on her, he swallows food with the air. If you are breastfeeding, then you need to pay attention to how the baby takes it. It is possible that by changing the position during feeding, you can save the baby from the occurrence of new attacks.
- If a baby has hiccups frequently and for a long time, you can calm it down by putting it back to your chest or giving a bottle of water.
- If hiccups occur, feel the handles of the newborn. If they are cold, then most likely the reason is the freezing of the child. It needs to be warmed so that the hiccups go away.
- If the reason is annoying factors (bright light, sound, etc.), then they must be eliminated. And then hold the child to him and walk around the room, quietly talking to him. It distracts – and the unpleasant phenomenon passes.
- Fright is a common cause of hiccups, especially in the first months of infancy. Irritating factors may even be just unfamiliar faces. Therefore, it makes sense to limit the number of visits until the child adapts.
- In the event that you can’t fight the hiccups using the methods mentioned above, and what to do is not clear, you can use a special folk remedy. It is necessary to drip a few drops of strong chamomile or lemon juice under the tongue.
Another important recommendation to help avoid hiccups: do not overfeed the baby. It also causes unpleasant phenomena for the baby. Understand that he ate, you can regurgitate, which follows the meal. To avoid hiccups from overeating, the child should be fed slowly, but often. If this phenomenon is regular, then hiccups can become chronic, and it will not be so easy to get rid of it.
Important! There is a mistaken opinion that with the help of fear you can cope with hiccups. This factor, on the contrary, provokes it, so this way of dealing with an unpleasant phenomenon should be abandoned.
As a rule, hiccups are much more worried about the baby’s mother than he does. Most often, this phenomenon occurs in the first year of life due to the imperfection of the child’s digestive tract. Already after six months or a year, the hiccup becomes less and less frequent and with age completely returns to normal.